The Rural Summer Legal Corps application closed on February 11, 2019.
Selected candidates will work with a host organization in a rural location for 8-10 weeks over the summer providing legal services to underserved and low-income individuals. Participants will develop valuable skills and gain hands-on training through direct involvement with results-driven community projects. Students will receive a $5,000 stipend for their service.
Before submitting your application, view the 2019 host site projects, and be prepared to choose your top three location choices. Applicants will be asked to provide a resume, a summary of professional qualifications, and a personal statement describing the candidate’s interest in the program.
All applicants must:
- Complete their first or second year of law school by the start of their summer placement.
- Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national or lawful permanent resident (e.g., green card).
- For several placements, possess a valid driver’s license and access to adequate transportation during summer placement.
Participants will receive a $5,000 stipend for their service. Students have the option to apply for unlimited additional outside funding through their university or other sources.
Program Participant Expectations
- Attend a three-day training seminar in Washington, D.C.
- Complete 300 hours of service within an 8-10 week period
- Complete all required program reporting and documentation.
Host Organization locations have been selected. Apply by February 11, 2019.
Housing and Transportation
It is the participant’s responsibility to obtain housing and ensure adequate transportation throughout the summer placement. Legal Aid Providers will provide general information, however, it is not the responsibility of the legal aid provider (host organization) to provide direct housing or transportation assistance.
December 20, 2018 Application Opens
February 11, 2019 Application Closes at 11:59 p.m. EST
Mid-February – Interviews with Legal Aid Providers on rolling basis
March 20, 2019 Students Notified of Acceptance